Saturday, January 23, 2016

Pinhoti trail day 2

Awakening at around 5 am we boiled some water and drank some delicious coffee a quick breakfast and it was time to break camp. Finishing our climb up and over Strawberry Mountain we dropped into the West Armuchee Creek area where we encountered some hunters who seemed to not be real happy with our appearance. We filled up with water at a nearby creek and got our feet throughly wet in the crossing of W. Armuchee Creek.





Another long road walk and we finally reentered the woods at the horse riding stables. The long slog up John's mountain began in earnest, (Photo).




Evan getting ready to don his backpack and cross East Armuchee Creek. After the long climb up John's mountain, this would be Evans second trip and my third. Twice on a mountain bike for me and once running for Evan. We decide to follow the forest road all the way to the top and check out the view of the forest below. We asked a couple to take our photo. All the exercise has yet to minimize my belly and the hip belt has exaggerated it. Lol...



We followed the trail from the summit down to the Keown falls. Areas of the trail had 
been damaged and we had to actually go under the falls.



We worked our way off the mountain and did a short road hop back into the woods near Pilchers Pond. It was here that my energy began to flag just as the long climb up Horn mountain began. My pace suffered greatly and the groans began in earnest. I pushed on and finally the last rock cairn came into view.


I bent down and tried to pick up a rock to place on the cairn and I was amazed as I watched my leg "shimmer". Hallucinations? I gathered my reserves and got the rock and placed on the cairn. We could almost see my truck off in the distance at the Snake Creek Gap trailhead. A long downhill was in front of us but the reward was not that far away. Driving to Evans car we stopped at a family style restaurant I gorged on a dinner of two pork chops baked sweet potato and a salad. Evan enjoyed a chicken dinner. We drove to the car loaded Evans pack exchanged thanks a hearty handshake and we both headed home. Just after leaving the parking area we ran into rain, just showing how close we came to having a two day hike in the rain.
The mileage varied, 42 by the maps my gps said 43 and my pedometer said close to 46. It was a great hike and our friendship grew tremendously, trust in one another and knowing that no matter what we had each other's back was a great feeling. The next page will be a series of maps showing the route with the exception of the hike by the Keown Falls. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment