Saturday, April 9, 2016

My Gear

Hello all: Here is my obligatory gear list. The gear I have been carrying is in a constant state of flux. Needs and situations change so the gear that I carry changes. I'll start with the big three, that is the Backpack, Tent and sleeping bag.

This is my Osprey Kestrel 38 liter backpack.
If you look closely at the center of the pack just above the white "Osprey" you can see the hole chewed into the pack by the mice during my first outing on the AT. The pack is fairly light and is pretty good for three days/two nights camping anything longer would really put the pack at a disadvantage. This pack will be Alison's pack when we begin to camp together.

This is my expanded pack a Osprey EXOS 58 liter.
This pack will allow me to extend my hiking into the 3/4 day 3/4 night range maybe longer! I have yet to use the pack if my Kestrel is any indication I should like this pack. 


This is my tent in a cuban fiber dry bag. I strap the tent and my sleeping pad to the outside of my pack to gain some internal storage space. The tent is a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo LE
It weighs in at just under 2 lbs and is easy to set up using one of my trekking poles.

Here is my sleeping bag folded for ease of photography. It is an REI Lumen 25.
The bag is rated to 25 deg F and with the use of thermal underwear it can be pushed to colder temps. I may get a thermal liner in the future to push the cold temp rating even further into blue!


This is a tyvek ground cover sheet it is virtually puncture resistant and impermeable to water. It is placed on the ground under the tent.


Here is my sleeping pad that goes under my sleeping bag providing some comfort. 
I store it in a cuban fiber waterproof bag outside my main pack.


Here is my cooking system, a Jetboil Flash.
It is all apart and fits inside the unit at the top of the picture, the actual cooking unit, a fuel canister, the burner assembly, top cover, fuel canister tripod stand and the bottom cover. The small fuel canister has served me so far, the burner has a pizeo striker to ignite the burner.


This is my insulated drinking mug
Coffee, hot chocolate ect... Lightweight hangs on the outside via a small caribiner. Usually is filled with a few small items.


Eating bowl, it collapses flat for easy storage. Sea to Summit xl folding bowl.


This is the one luxury item that I carry. A pour through coffee filter holder. A good cuppa joe is what I consider a necessity. I pack enough fresh coffee grounds for the planned journey a small amount of sugar and dried milk. It also hangs on the outside via a small caribiner.


Trekking poles. REI traverse.
Poles really help with the walking over rocks and roots they have more than once caught me and stopped a fall. 


Rain poncho, this is a "real poncho, not a sears poncho" Froggtoggs.
Ultra lite weight and inexpensive, only used it once, to keep the cold wind off me while awaiting partner gathering water.


Hiking long pants, generally I wear shorts. Only in the extreme cold do these come out.
Lite weight and very comfortable.



My hiking footwear, trail runners. Saucony Xodus. Lite weight and some what waterproof. They feature a rugged sole for extra grip and wear. They have close to 250 miles on them at this point, and I have to report that no blisters formed during those miles.
This is as close to my shoes as I can find they are the current replacement version. I will probably get these or a pair of Brooks when replacement approaches.


Swiftwick socks protect my feet in the trail runners they dry quickly and minimize the chaffing thus preventing blisters. I also carry a pair of marino wool socks when the cold weather dictates.

I'll end here and update the rest of my gear, clothes and food items ect..

















No comments:

Post a Comment